Saturday, March 13, 2010

122 Days Later...


What blog? For those of you who follow this dusty ol' rhyme from the high seas (ahem, mom), I apologize for the recent lack of new words and thoughts 'round here. The rocking of the ship, coupled with my own carelessness caused a coffee spill a few cruises ago and a few essential letters on my keyboard have since gone kaput and never came back. I've nonetheless devised a way to type, but it takes a long time and, well, I'm lazy.

Anyway, that's not important. What is important is that today, this moment right here, wherein I'm sitting in a cafe, eating a pizza, drinking a cafe doble, I am basking in the still novel feeling that I am done. It's over. Fin. Koncheelos. If this were a normal turnover day, new passengers would be arriving in fifteen minutes, but it's not. When I go back to the ship for the last time tonight it will be to celebrate and say farewell to those I got to know over the past four months.

Boy, we had fun. Copious laughter, a couple tears, some bruises, a flying fish, a storm, a marriage proposal, many birthdays, a Christmas, a polar plunge, and a heart-shaped Valentine's Day cake that was literally the frosting on my entire season. Retrospect is already starting to kick in, painting my memories a warm orangey hue of sunset.

And now, after catering to eleven cruises full of vacationers its my turn to escape a routine that was escape to so many others. I will not miss spending ten hours a day every day behind that little bar, but Antarctica, well, I can't wait to see her again.

3 comments:

  1. And somehow...i have no doubt that you will see "her" Antartica again. My, when i think about all you have experienced and acquired these past two years can be overwhelming, in my small little world. I am very proud, of course. But also so extremely HAPPY for you. What awesome opportunities to have come your way and to see you grasp them and turn out to make the Best of them is no surprise to me, but still very warming...afterall, you are MY daughter!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does this mean you'll be back in MN anytime soon? I'd love to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes :) march 28-april 10 or so...email me your phone number and lets make a date!

    ReplyDelete